Saturday 1 February 2014



The door opened 
all was still
for a moment
for a long breath

a figure held my attention
by doing nothing
by being
fully embodied
conscious of every breath

when she moved
the stillness did not end
she carried it with her

she did not seek attention
the feather weight gravity 
with which she was dancing 
was magnetic

she told me she meditated
and saved up each year
to go to India
and do painting meditation with children
Her eyes lit up as she described their enthusiasm, 
their creativity
their communication with spirit

I was young
distracted
by dreams of fame and fortune
I wish I had thrown off the chains
of rebellion
against parental expectation
of empty dreams
I wish I had followed her

I always remember that first encounter
reminded of her 
on the rare occasions
that stillness, silence and solitude have found me
in the midst of art and being

Now I am old
I meditate 
I paint
I write
I dream
I live alone
I have come home to myself

I guard my piece
of stillness, silence and solitude 
ferociously.


By Bríd Wyldearth Imbolc 2014


inspired by listening to John O'Donohue

Contribution for 2014 Brigid Poetry Festival:
https://www.facebook.com/BrigidPoetryFest



No comments:

Post a Comment